Thursday, October 4, 2012

First Pay Day

Wow... this week has kicked my butt.  I don't even know where to begin... I guess we'll start with Monday.

Monday, I get back to school not feeling so refreshed because I had basketball tryouts on Mercer Island for the 4th-8th grade Select girls... the tryouts went well, but there was A LOT of discussion following the weekend from parents, coaches, and board members.  I have never been e-mailed so much in my life!  Handling that was definitely a big weight to carry this week.

This week, I quizzed all my classes, had papers and projects handed in, so grading has begun!  Now I feel like a real teacher, swamped with tasks of grading and planning all at the same time.  I am so useless at remembering anything at all, I have 3 planners (a planner that I write in, my phone calendar, and a whiteboard calendar in my office).  I have post-it notes all over my desk, with notes to myself that need to be very clear and specific.  My to do list is never-ending, and the time I have for my "to-do's" is never enough :) Yes... this is what it must really be like to be a teacher!

On top of all these things I have deathly ill this week, but could not put in for a sub.  There are two reasons for this: 1) I have no clue how to put in for a sub.  I haven't signed up for my online thingy yet, cause the time it would take to go to the office and handle that, is time that I need for something else!  and 2) I didn't want to leave my students writing quizzes and doing labs with a sub.  So I have trucked a long, and I would say that I have survived this week... instructing with my phlegm-filled man voice, and asking my students to feel very sorry for me and behave and be quiet.  The students have been awesome!  They are very understanding and mature young adults (this week).

Other adventurous things that have added to this fun-filled week:
- The copy machine jammed twice again this week, on particular days that I was desperate to make copies.  (I have not really been too far ahead on the copy-making).  We can now no longer use blue paper AT ALL. When we staple packets, they must be vertical staples not angled.  We have to copy from certain trays, and so on.  I loathe the copy machine.
- We had two back-to-back fire drills.... literally.  So I'm making tea at 7:00 am yesterday morning getting ready for the day to start and the fire alarm goes off.  Thankfully all I have to do is make sure all kids are out of the building.  We stand outside in the chipper morning air, get told we can go back into the building. Seriously after the last kid enters the building, the alarm goes off again, and we have to evacuate again.  It was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment