Thursday, October 11, 2012

Homecoming Week

This week has been a totally cultural experience.  Canadian high schools do not really do a whole homecoming week, and most schools don't really have a homecoming game.  Needless to say, I feel like I'm on the set of  a movie!

Leading up to homecoming week I have been able to witness the many creative ways high school boys ask girls to the homecoming dance.  It's such a big thing, it's like a mini-competition to see who asks in the most creative/sweet way.  I have seen dozens of flowers (roses specifically) roll through my classroom.  Stuffed animals and balloons.... everyone can always tell which girl has been asked!  Oh the drama....

It makes me think, how would I like to have been asked to homecoming?  I know I for sure would NOT have wanted any flowers... it's just too easy.  You can get nice-looking flowers from the grocery store these days.... I need some effort!  I would not have wanted any big stuffed animals because that's just ridiculous!  I think I would have wanted some kind of treasure hunt, where I'd find clues and eventually come to a cool spot to find the guy who would ask me to Homecoming.  It would be fun, it could be competitive... I could time myself :)

This week, being homecoming week, is crazy busy!  I've had to plan my butt off because we have District Chemistry meetings on Friday (which means Sub Plans).  I am only one day ahead of my Chem classes because I have to learn the material well enough to teach it, I'm planning most of my lessons from scratch, and I'm trying to observe and run labs that I've never run!  Kind of exhausting.  On top of that, I attended a soccer game and volleyball game this week.  I reffed the "Buff Puff" game, it's basically senior dudes playing volleyball (it was hilarious).  I am attending the Homecoming parade and Homecoming football game, and I will be chaperoning the Homecoming dance.  It's been a whirlwind and I am definitely tired this week, but it's been well worth it because the kids are so into it!

Happy Homecoming Week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment